Beachside Knitter

This is the place I keep track of my knitting and sewing projects - and other miscellaneous too.

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Hey! What Happened here!?

I don't know what happened to my whole previous post, so here it is again! I hate when that happens... So, here is my Andrea silk Beaded Diamonds Shawl in progress.

One night I had a terrible disaster. After working my heart out on this tension filled project, my center pull cake of yarn became hopelessly tangled and knotted into 4 rats nests! Yikes! I was so tired, and so upset - I never thought it could be fixed, and the yarn is too expensive to go buy a whole new hank, and I had worked on it so hard and long - now what. So I went to bed.
The next morning things looked brighter and I very patiently worked on the nests, although I did have to cut the yarn which killed me. Then I took the whole mess to the yarn shop and rewound the ball. No way could I continue to pull from the center of the ball, it just made a mess. I was in the middle of a month long hotel stay and had to use what I had on hand.... a plastic gallon water jug and a plastic tube which held my new "Harmony" dps from Knit Picks. It worked great. Pulling the yarn from the outside of the ball and not upward but straight on out prevented all the twisting and knotting.
So when I got back home to Florida I put together my new "refined" model. When I wind slippery or lace weight yarn I put a toilet paper tube on my ball winder and viola!
Now I think I will glue a nice little dish or maybe a long box onto the tile so that it can hold my stitch markers, snips, pencil, etc.



So what do you think about that?









Here is another picture of the finished shawl - I know it is shadowy. I'll post another one in a minute. Too bad I don't want to model it LOL
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie B said...

Ohhhh I love the tile and TP roll idea!!!! I have not knit lace yet but it looks like the yarn will knit up nice and smoothly from it. Must consider making one....

(Oh, I got here from the Ravelry stash photo's thread)

11:09 AM  
Blogger Alliebelle said...

This is genius! I've been trying to think of some sort of toilet/paper towel roll contraption and this is perfect. I can't believe how simple it is! I never would have thought of using a tile for a base, but it makes perfect sense to have something with a little weight to hold everything. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Um, yeah, I'm here from Ravelry too! :-)

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home